1/1 Photo of Chef Joey's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
Don't you just hate it when you come across a great cookie recipe and the instructions are lacking? I sure do. This recipe was one of those. Not to be discouraged, I made these and now can impart what I learned. These cookies are very chewy. Make sure you flatten them to about 1/4" as they don't really spread, but they do rise. Their flavor is very mild even with the chips, nuts and seed additions. The batter is very stiff. I have a little tablespoon measure made by chip clip that has a rubber bottom so I can pop the batter out without it sticking. These cookies would be great dunkers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups spelt flour (I used the sprouted spelt)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (non-aluminum)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used mango apple)
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (you can use unsweetened carob chips too. Mine were Enjoy Life gluten free)
- 1/4 chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I used the salted ones)
- 1Preheat your oven to 350'F.
- 2Spray a cookie sheet with spray oil. I used my silpat sheets in place of the oil to keep the fat content down. You could probably use parchment paper as well.
- 3In a large bowl stir the flour and baking powder with a whisk to lighten up the mixture.
- 4In a medium bowl mix the apple sauce, agave syrup and vanilla. Using a whisk mix this all together then add to the flour baking powder mixture. Stir it very well.
- 5The batter will be very stiff. Add the chips, nuts and seeds and fold them into the batter to distribute.
- 6Drop by tablespoonful onto the cookie sheet and flatten with a fork. Dip the fork in water if the batter sticks to it.
- 7Make sure if you like round cookies you shape them accordingly because they will stay in what ever shape they are in when you flatten them.
- 8Bake for 12 minutes. The edges of the cookies should be golden in color. Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack immediately. These cookies are pretty sturdy so they can handle being moved off the cookie sheet right away. Then pop the next batch into the oven.
- 9Serve with a nice tall glass of non-dairy milk.
- 10Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.1
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 32.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: