Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This pudding is delicious and not overly sweet. I used part of a spelt baguette cut up into cubes for this. It was good and stale which your bread should be for this sort of recipe. I topped it off with my Vegan Vanilla Sauce
Top Review by michelle1908
After making a few adjustments, I absolutely loved this bread pudding. There is a discrepancy between the amount of egg substitute listed in the ingredients list and in the directions. I used the amounts listed in the directions. I also found that 3 cups of bread did not fill a 9x13 or 8x8 dish. I used an 8x8 dish and added enough bread to almost fill it.
I also modified the process by heating the milk, margarine, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a saucepan until everything was melted and then poured the mixture over the bread in the 8x8 dish.
I didn't use 2 dishes either, but it turned out fine for me.
- 4 tablespoons margarine (softened..Earth Balance)
- 2 cups soymilk (soy or other non-dairy milk)
- 3 teaspoons egg substitute (Ener-G)
- 4 tablespoons filtered water (add to egg replacer)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (raw cane)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 3 cups stale bread (cubed)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350'F.
- Put the margarine in a bowl big enough to accommodate 2 cups of milk.
- Put the sugar, cinnamon and salt into another bowl and mix well.
- Put the milk in a saucepan and heat until just before the boiling point.
- Pour the heated milk into the bowl with the margarine in it. Mix until the margarine is completely melted.
- In a 9x13" oven safe dish add the bread and raisins.
- Mix the egg replacer with water. I use 1 1/2 teaspoons of egg replacer and two tablespoons of warm water. Stir to incorporate.
- Gradually add the egg replacer to the milk mixture.
- Add in the cinnamon, sugar and salt mixture into the milk mixture. Mix this well.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread and raisins and carefully move the bread around so that ll the pieces are soaked in the milk.
- Put the dish with the prepared bread pudding into a larger dish and put it into the preheated oven.
- Pour the hot water into the outer dish being careful not to get any in the pudding dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- The custard should be creamy. Remember you didn't use eggs here so it won't be set exactly the same. As it cools it will firm up a bit.
- Serve either warm or cold, plain or with your favourite sauce.
- Bon Appetit.