Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was adapted originally from pastrywiz.com. But as per usual I have tweaked it to suit my tastes. It is in three parts, the cake, the filling and the glaze. You can prepare the pudding a day ahead if you wish, this will save some time. Just make sure you cover the top of the pudding with clear plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming on the top of it. If you wish to sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar that would taste great, however, I prefer the traditional chocolate glaze.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons non-aluminum baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup potato (white potato puree)
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine (vegan)
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk (plain at room temperature)
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) box vegan vanilla pudding mix (I used Dr. Oetker cooked style)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (melted)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water (hot)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Lightly spray an 8 inch round cake tin.
- FOR THE FILLING:.
- Prepare the pudding according to package directions but use less milk as the ingredients state above. The filling should be thicker then if you were just making a pudding.
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl cream the potato and margarine together. Add sugar and beat until sugar is fluffy and incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the vanilla and lemon extract and continue beating.
- Slowly add the soy milk and beat until well mixed. Add the flour mixture, 1/3 cup at a time and beat until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or a tooth pick comes out clean inserted in the center.
- If done, remove cake from oven and cool on a metal rack for 20 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool for an additional hour on the cooling rack.
- Cut the cake in half. Fill it with the vanilla pudding, put the top back on the cake and glaze.
- FOR THE GLAZE:.
- Combine the melted margarine, cocoa and hot water in a bowl. Blend in the confectioner's sugar and vanilla. When you like the consistency pour or spread over the cake and let it cool for a while so the glaze can set.
- Bon Appetit.