Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
Our neighbor, Jorge gave us cart blanch with his apple tree and this morning Stu picked me a dozen beautiful red organic apples. I didn't have any phyllo pastry so decided to use puff pastry. I wanted to add some dried fruit so am using dried blueberries. This makes two strudels. I didn't include the thawing time for the strudel in this recipe.
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry (thawed-contains two sheets)
- 12 medium apples (peeled, cored, thin sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut rum (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried blueberries (or other dried berries)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegan margarine (Earth Balance-melted)
- 2 tablespoons cold vegan margarine (cut into small pieces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 375'F and put your oven rack in the middle position.
- In a medium bowl combine the rum, lemon extract, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix together and set aside.
- Prepare your apples. I washed them, then used my food processor to slice them. I didn't peel my apples but did core them.
- I then put the apples into a large bowl and added the rum mixture and mixed well. Let this sit for a few minutes.
- You should see some moisture come out of the fruit. Save this and make a sauce out if it if you wish. I'm going to add a little arrowroot to it and heat it up and pour over the strudel when I serve it.
- Roll out your thawed puff pastry sheet to a 15x12 inch rectangle.
- Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 the apple mixture onto the pastry leaving about 2" along the edges bare.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the cold vegan margarine cut into small pieces evenly on the top of the apple mixture and roll it up. Fold the edges at each end.
- Brush the whole strudel with the melted vegan margarine. Using a pair of scissors cut 3 slits evenly in the top and sprinkle with a little more cinnamon and sugar if you wish. I keep a mixture of this on hand for these types of recipes.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 40 minutes, rotating the pan 1/2 way through the baking process until the pastry is puffed and brown.
- I had 1/2 cup of the rum mixture left. I mixed 2 teaspoons of arrowroot powder into the rum and gently hearted it until it boiled for a few minutes until thickened.
- I put this over the strudel and wow, was that delicious.
- Bon Appetit!