Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I had one sheet of puff pastry left and wanted to use it up. I used a 9 inch tart pan to hold the crust. I found it is necessary to moisten the bottom of the tart pan with water to prevent this from sticking.
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen strawberries (organic)
- 1 (1/3 ounce) packet vegan gelatin
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) box vanilla pudding mix (Dr. Oetker organic, the type you cook)
- 1⁄4 cup fine sugar
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot (flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400'F.
- Empty the contents of the frozen strawberry package into a microwave save bowl and defrost until just thawed. Then put the thawed berries into a sieve and let the juice drip into a bow. Keep the liquid for later use.
- Moisten the bottom of the tart pan with a little water.
- On a floured board, roll the puff pastry out and place it in the tart pan. Make sure it fits so the sides and bottom are covered. Push out any air pockets "gently" with your fingers. If you have any tears in the pastry use a little water to close them. Once the puff pastry is put into the tart pan use your rolling pin along the top of the tart pan edges to remove the excess puff pastry.
- Place your puff pastry in the tart pan into the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. About half way through remove the tart from the oven and prick it gently with a fork. This is to get out some of the air. Put it back and cook the rest of the way. Keep an eye on it now, it browns quickly. Once done, remove and let sit on a rack to cool.
- Prepare the pudding according to package directions.
- (What I did was place the cold milk into a medium sauce pan. I then added the pudding mix, strawberry extract and gelatin into the cold milk and stirred it with a whisk.).
- Turn the stove on to medium, but no higher as this could burn easily. Stir this constantly. Once this mixture comes to a boil stir for about a minute longer, then set aside off the heat and cover. Once cooled slightly put onto the baked puff pastry. Spread it evenly.
- Put the thawed strawberries in a small bowl and pour the sugar over them. Let the berries and sugar macerate for a few minutes. Once you see that the berries are macerated, pour the remaining juice in with the reserved juice from when the berries were thawing.
- Put the strawberry juice into a small sauce pan, add the arrowroot flour and mix well. You want to get the lumps out. Then turn on the heat and stir constantly until smooth and thick. This should thicken quickly. Once this is done set aside off the heat.
- Place the strawberries on the pudding in an attractive pattern and then pour the thickened strawberry juice over top. Place in the fridge for a few hours and serve with your favourite whipped topping. I used coconut whipped cream on mine.
- Bon Apetit!