Prep 6 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been making my own organic hemp milk for quite a long time. When you make your own it is stronger then what you buy in the grocery store, so be prepared to taste more of the hemp flavor. You will need a high powered blender for this to break the seeds down. I have a Vita-Mix and it works perfect. You will also need a seed bag to strain the milk from the seeds. I got mine online. Here's a link: http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index.php?cPath=100156&gclid=CK-i0bn8-JwCFSn6agodRFvDag
- 1 cup hemp seeds (organic)
- 7 cups pure water
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (or other flavor)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or other natural liquid sweetener)
- Fill the cup of a large blender with 7 cups of water.
- Add the hemp seed, honey and vanilla.
- Blend for a few minutes to ensure the seeds are all broken up.
- Taste your milk. If its not sweet enough or flavored enough, add more sweetener or vanilla. You can also add almond extract as well.
- If you are happy with the milk let it sit for a few minutes to let the water get into the seed puree. This step is important because it will help plump the seeds up and prevent them from leaking out into the milk while you're straining it.
- Once the milk is strained put in the fridge.
- Drink it up quickly this stuff won't keep too long.
- Bon Appetit!
This has been use for that large bag of hemp hearts that's available in stores now, and way more cost effective. I found I got used to the stronger flavor over time, thanks for sharing this recipe!