Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
The inside of this delicious burger was very moist and flavorful. The original recipe called for 3 tbsp. bulgar. I changed this and added 1 cup Nature's burger mix. I liked how this added something extra to the recipe. I had to add more broth to this as I found the burger mix really absorbed the moisture. I put the patties on a sprouted bun with grilled red onions and mushrooms. I used garlic chives from my garden as well. I served the burgers with some sweet pickles and a side of seasoned barbecued potatoes.
- 2 cups organic mushrooms (divided in half)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons bulgur wheat
- 12 ounces ground chicken (organic)
- 2 tablespoons garlic chives (chopped fine)
- 2 teaspoons vegan worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray your barbecue with oil if you're using a gas grill. Set it to high.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard. Chop one cup mushrooms fine. You can use a variety of mushrooms here. I used Baby Bella and White Buttons.
- In a small saucepan cook the chopped mushrooms and garlic in 1/2 cup veggie broth for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the bulgar. Return to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. You might need to add more broth, its up to you. Once done set aside and leave uncovered to cool.
- In the meantime I combined the ground chicken, garlic chives, Worcestershire sauce and pepper in a big bowl. Mix well.
- Add the mushroom bulgar mix that you cooked on the stove to the chicken mixture. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- On a plate covered with some waxed paper, form the patties. I got 4 good sized ones out of this. I sprayed each side with a little oil. This will ensure they don't stick to the grill.
- Place the patties on the bottom part of the grill. Place the red onion on the top art of the grill.
- Turn the barbecue down to medium, close the lid and allow the burgers to cook for about 6 minutes on one side and 6 on the other.
- Keep an eye on this for the last 6 minutes as it may need less time. In any case check the burger to make sure there isn't any pink inside.
- while the burgers are grilling chop the rest of the mushrooms up and cook in the remaining 1/4 cup veggie broth for a few minutes.
- Assemble the burgers and serve with the grilled onion as well as the mushrooms you prepared with the soup broth. This would also be good with your favourite condiments.
- Bon Appetit!