Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I made these little gems this morning as part of my holiday baking. I'm not sure where I found this recipe. They should be cooled thoroughly before removing from the baking pan. I used hazelnuts, but I think almonds, walnuts or pecans would also work here. I used kumquat preserves in mine. You can use raspberry or apricot too.
- 1⁄2 cup vegan margarine (or 1/2 cup light oil)
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats (not instant)
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour (white)
- 1 cup hazelnuts (toasted and chopped fine)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup tart jam preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375'F.
- Lightly spray a 8x8 inch square baking dish with oil.
- Cream the margarine and brown sugar together until well blended.
- Stir in the oats, flour and toasted chopped hazelnuts. Mix well. Remove one cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan. Try to get it as even as you can.
- Mix the raisins and preserves well. Spread this mixture on top of the oat mixture leaving a 1 inch border around the edges without any raisin mixture.
- Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture on top of the fruit and press down lightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden.
- Cool these for about 10 minutes.
- Then, with a wet, sharp knife cut the squares into 16 pieces. Dip the knife in water every time you cut, this is sticky.
- Let the squares cool and cut again before removing.
- These are delicious warm or cold and would be great with a dollop of non-dairy whipping cream or some vanilla soy ice cream.
- Bon Appetit!