Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I found the original recipe for Haupai at Recipezaar, but decided (as I usually do) to tweak it and make it my own. All these ingredients can be found in any good health food market. I prefer the lite coconut milk as it's got fewer calories. I have made this a few times. When I make it in a pie I sometimes also use this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Almond-Crumb-Crust-303089 and it goes very well with this pie.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 (12 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 4 -6 tablespoons raw unrefined sugar
- 4 -6 tablespoons arrowroot
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 bananas (sliced in 1/4 inch pieces)
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 cup vegan vanilla wafers
- 1⁄3 cup vegan margarine (Melted..Earth Balance)
FOR THE TOPPING
- unsweetened flaked coconut
- five-spice powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the vanilla wafers by putting them into a large plastic zipper bag and crush them into fine crumbs.
- Melt the vegan margarine and add it to the vanilla wafer crumbs. Combine the wafers and margarine and then layer the crumb mixture evenly in the bottom of an 8x8 inch pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 8 minutes. Cool completely before adding the pudding.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING.
- Put the lite coconut milk into one quart saucepan. Mix it up with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar and arrowroot and mix, add the water and mix really well to ensure the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the sugar, arrowroot and water mixture into the coconut milk. Heat on med low until thickened. Then add the vanilla and lemon extracts. Mix well.
- Put the slices of banana on the cooled vanilla wafer crust and then pour the coconut pudding on top.
- Sprinkle with the desired amount of coconut flakes. You can toast these if you like.
- Sprinkle with Five Spice Powder.