Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This recipe makes two huge 9x5" loaves of bread. I ground my own corn flour and I brushed the tops with soy milk and sprinkled with roasted sesame and sunflower seeds for a nice crunch.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast (red star)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups soymilk
- 2⁄3 cup agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons shortening (vegan)
- 5 1⁄2-6 cups flour (I used rye,spelt and bread flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water (115'F). Add a little agave to this and stir gently to combine. Let this mixture sit and bubble up.
- In a large bowl mix the cornmeal and salt.
- Heat the milk in a sauce pan to around 110-115'F. Add the shortening and agave nectar. Whisk to melt the shortening and mix the agave nectar.
- Add slowly to the cornmeal and stir as you pour making sure it's all combined.
- Add 3 cups of the flour to the cornmeal mixture and mix well. Add the yeast mixture into the cornmeal/flour mix and stir well.
- Add the rest of the flour and make a stiff dough. It will be somewhat sticky.
- Knead 100 times or use a stand mixer with a dough hook until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Using olive oil, grease a large non-reactive bowl and place the dough in it. Oil a piece of plastic wrap and place loosely over the bowl and let it rise until double in bulk. About 1 hour.
- After 1 hour punch down and rise again for 1/2-3/4 hour.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and divide in two equal pieces and place in 2 9x5" well oiled loaf pans.
- At this point brush the tops of the bread with soy milk and sprinkle with your seeds.
- Let rise again until doubled in size.
- Bake in a 375'F oven for 40-45 minutes.
- If these brown too fast cover each with an aluminum tent.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on a metal rack then remove from pans and cool further.
- This bread is fluffy inside and crunchy outside. Enjoy with some vegan margarine or other spread.
- Bon Appetit!