1/1 Photo of Chef Joey's Chicken & Chili Empanadas
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
These little pastry's are so darn tasty. I made my own pizza dough, but you can buy it already made if you prefer. I ground my own corn meal for this because we saved some of the Indian corn we grew last year. It made the empanadas look really pretty with red speckles. I can't eat dairy, so have made this without any. I find this dish delicious and very filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pizza crust
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 link soy chorizo
- 2 cups shredded vegan monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons sweet red peppers (ones you get in a jar)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/3 cup cream cheese (I used soy)
- 1/3 jalapeno
- 1/3 anaheim chili
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup soymilk (to glaze the empanadas)
- 1Preheat oven to 375'F.
- 2If you are making the pizza dough yourself this is probably a good time to do it. You can prepare the rest of the ingredients while the dough is rising.
- 3FOR THE FILLING:.
- 4In your food processor, chop up the garlic, red pepper, onion, Anaheim and jalapeño chilies. Do not over process, aim for medium size pieces. Set aside in a small bowl.
- 5Chop up the chicken breasts and combine them with the soyrizo in the bowl of your food processor.
- 6Pulse until you have a nice ground mixture. Saute in a skillet until the pink is gone from the chicken. When done turn off the heat and set aside.
- 7In a large saucepan, combine the chicken soup broth and arrowroot flour. Whisk over med. high heat until it bubbles. Add the soy cream cheese and shredded Jack cheese and black pepper. Let this get good and thick.
- 8Pour over the chicken/soyrizo mixture and mix well, then add the veggie/chili mixture and combine until all is incorporated.
- 9FOR THE EMPANADAS:.
- 10Make 12 balls from the pizza dough and roll each one to approximately 4 inches around. Put some filling on each one and fold the edges together securely. You don't want them to leak. Brush with the soy creamer.
- 11Put on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for about 22-25 minutes. The outside should be golden brown.
- 12Serve warm or hot with a little salsa or vegan sour cream on the side.
- 13Bon Apetit!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Chicken & Chili Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (55 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 57.2
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.4 mg
- Sodium 69.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan monterey jack cheese