Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is for a 2.5 quart slow cooker. Its very easy and good for you too.
- 1⁄2 lb dried navy beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 celery rib (diced)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 pieces bacon (cubed turkey bacon)
- 1 small dried chili (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Saute the carrots, celery, onion and bacon.
- Drain the beans of soak water and rinse them until they are no longer scummy.
- Put the sauted veggies and bacon into the crock pot.
- Fill the pot with water within 2 inches from the top of the crock.
- *NOTE*: Do not use anything with tomato in it if you decide to use soup broth instead of water as tomato inhibits the cooking of the beans.
- Depending on the beans it should take about 6-8 hours to cook.
- Once all the ingredients are soft, add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Let cook for another 1/2 hours.
- Bon Apetit.