Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Red Cat Cookbook has highlights of the inventive uncomplicated & memorable recipes from Chef Bradley's restaurant. The batter is made with clam broth and pilsner, Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyn Pilsner or Victory Brewing Company's hoppy Prima Pils, are his choices. Haven't tried these as yet but they looked very interesting, so I figured I'd post for safekeeping. Food & Wine Magazine, May/07.
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup bottled clam broth
- 1⁄4 cup pilsner beer
- 1⁄2 lb sea scallops, coarsely chopped
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeno, with seeds, minced
- tartar sauce
- lemon slice
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Add the eggs, clam broth and beer and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in the scallops, scallions, onion and jalapeño.
- Working in batches, drop heaping teaspoons of the batter into the oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, about 7 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to paper towels.
- Serve with tartar sauce and lemon slices or wedges.