Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is very simple and has two "secret" ingredients to jazz it up a bit(gorgonzola and lemon zest). The parmesean cheese amount is an estimate, I just use enough to thicken the sauce, adjust as needed.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 pieces lemon zest
- In a large sautee pan bring the half and half to a boil, be careful it will spill over if you don't stop it in time.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in the gorgonzola, pepper and lemon zest. Stir once.
- Add the parmesean a handful at time and whisk until the cheeses are fully melted and the sauce is thickend adding more parmesean if needed.
- Return to very low heat if the cheeses did not melt all the way, do not bring back to a boil.
I excitedly mentioned that I was going to surprise my husband with his all time fav...Alfredo, but someone here obviously couldn't contain himself. Telephone call as recounted by DH--Caller: Husband, is that you? DH: Who's this? Caller: Your wife. When are you going to be home for dinner? DH: That doesn't sound like you? Caller: I'm, uuurrr ummm, a little congested. DH: Seriously, who's this? Caller: buuuummmmmmmmmmmm. Minutes later DH comes home telling of a practical joker impersonating me. You can't turn your back for one second on Pepper, my cockatiel. I'm becoming suspicious of his plans of a hostile takeover.
Proudly poured over my linguine, this sauce stands one step above the norm with your additions of cheese and lemon zest. We loved the change!