Recipe by blucoat
This recipe is from Jack Li,chef at Vegetarian Haven, a well known Toronto restaurant. The recipe was printed in the Toronto Star.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (30 mL)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (30 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (5 mL)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (5 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup water (125 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (15 mL)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger (10 mL)
- 1 small carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 stalk celery, peeled, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces firm tofu (110 g) or 4 ounces tofu ham, cut into thin strips (110 g)
- 14 ounces pre-cooked shanghai noodles, rinsed and separated under hot water (400 g)
- sea salt
- 1 cup bean sprouts (250 mL)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, vinegar, sugar and water.
- In wok or large fry pan, heat oil over high. Add ginger. Stir-fry 20 seconds. Add carrots and mushrooms. Stir-fry 2 minutes. Add zucchini, pepper, celery and tofu “ham” or tofu. Stir-fry until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add noodles and soy sauce mixture. Stir-fry until noodles are soft and sauce is syrupy, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt to taste. Stir in bean sprouts.
- Transfer to serving platter. Drizzle with sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds.