Recipe by Elmotoo
I'm not sure who Chef Don Clark is, but I will pass along the credit. The original title to this recipe is 'Chef Don Clark's Coconut Chicken Toston Cup Filling' where you use this recipe as a filling for toston cups which are fried plantain cups made with a plantain press. Served in toston cups, you will have a smashng appetizer! Otherwise, you'll just have a tasty dish!
- 1 lb chicken (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper (chopped fine)
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper (chopped fine)
- 4 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (chopped fine, remove seeds to reduce heat)
- 1⁄3 cup red onion (chopped fine)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pineapple in juice
- kosher salt
- coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup toasted coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil. Saute garlic and onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced chicken and cook until chicken turns white.
- Add half the ginger and all of the jalapeño pepper, green pepper, and red pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes then add the coconut milk and brown sugar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes then add the cornstarch to thicken.
- When the mixture has thickened, add the pineapple along with the remainder of the ginger to get one last blast of flavor.
- If you use the toasted coconut, toast it until brown in the oven at 400-450 degrees, and garnish with the toasted coconut.
- (Fill the plantain cups and serve hot.).