Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Robust chili. Make them sweat or make it mild, your choice. I like it a little spicy. Serve it with corn bread or oyster crackers.
- 3 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 medium bell peppers (diced)
- 2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (2 light, 2 dark)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 7 tablespoons chili powder (more if needed (use one in meat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup beer
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (add to your desire)
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add onions, diced garlic and diced sweet peppers and fry until peppers are tender. (add some dried spices) drain oil when done.
- Fry beef (Add some chili powder, cumin and salt), until done. Drain fat.
- Add The 56 ounces of plum tomatoesb with juice. Hand crush them till completely squashed. Then add to the large cooking vessel, The fried vegetables, the fried beef, dark and light kidney beans including liquid, chili powder, cumin, sugar, italian season, (optional cayenne pepper), crushed red pepper, dried basil and sugar. Simmer covered for 1 1/2 to two hours stirring often so it doesn't stick to bottom of cooker.
- Add the beer and continue to simmer for 1 hour. Now you can adjust your seasoning to your taste. after adjusting continue to simmer. If you need to thicken broth, add 4 Tablespoons of corn starch to 1/4 cup of cold water and bring cooking to a rapid boil and pour and stir in the corn starch mixture rapidly a little at a time until it reaches the thickness that you want. Cover and return to simmer for 10 minutes.
- If you need to thin it add tomatoe juise.