Recipe by Sharon123
This is made by the chef at the White House, Cristeta Comerford, for the Obama's. Enjoy!
Top Review by breezermom
I enjoyed this recipe. It is a lot like the cauliflower with cheese sauce that my mom used to make....she made the white sauce (bechamel) and added the cheese to that, and then just served it over steamed cauliflower. A lot quicker and easier than this recipe. The nutmeg threw in a new twist, one that I enjoyed, but I'll reduce the amount next time. This is a great tasting recipe....but I'll probably continue to make it the way my mom did though, just because it is a time saver.
- cooking spray
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs- or coarsely ground fresh bread crumbs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into florets.
- Steam the cauliflower in a large pot with a little water over medium-low heat until tender. Remove the cauliflower from the pot to a towel to remove excise moisture.(Or you could roast the cauliflower for about 30 minutes, turning once, at 400*F.).
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, whisking all the time to make sure there are no lumps.
- Cook another 3 to 4 minutes, and let the sauce thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and add the nutmeg.
- Put the cauliflower into the prepared pan. Top with half of the cheese. Pour the white sauce (bechamel) over the cheese. Top with the remaining cheese and the bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.