This is made by the chef at the White House, Cristeta Comerford, for the Obama's. Enjoy!
Make and share this Chef Comerford's Cauliflower Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- cooking spray
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs- or coarsely ground fresh bread crumbs)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into florets.
- Steam the cauliflower in a large pot with a little water over medium-low heat until tender. Remove the cauliflower from the pot to a towel to remove excise moisture.(Or you could roast the cauliflower for about 30 minutes, turning once, at 400*F.).
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, whisking all the time to make sure there are no lumps.
- Cook another 3 to 4 minutes, and let the sauce thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and add the nutmeg.
- Put the cauliflower into the prepared pan. Top with half of the cheese. Pour the white sauce (bechamel) over the cheese. Top with the remaining cheese and the bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.