1/1 Photo of Chef Comerford's Cauliflower Gratin
This is made by the chef at the White House, Cristeta Comerford, for the Obama's. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs- or coarsely ground fresh bread crumbs)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- 3Trim the cauliflower and cut into florets.
- 4Steam the cauliflower in a large pot with a little water over medium-low heat until tender. Remove the cauliflower from the pot to a towel to remove excise moisture.(Or you could roast the cauliflower for about 30 minutes, turning once, at 400*F.).
- 5Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 6Add the milk, whisking all the time to make sure there are no lumps.
- 7Cook another 3 to 4 minutes, and let the sauce thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and add the nutmeg.
- 8Put the cauliflower into the prepared pan. Top with half of the cheese. Pour the white sauce (bechamel) over the cheese. Top with the remaining cheese and the bread crumbs.
- 9Bake, uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Comerford's Cauliflower Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.4
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 64.2 mg
- Sodium 375.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 19.2 g