Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fall weather has arrived in Central Illinois, and along with the chillier temperatures comes a desire for hearty and warming soups. The pumpkin patches are doing a brisk business and made me think of of pumpkin soup. Hope you like this hearty, main dish chowder! I like to use ground chicken, but cubed chicken breasts also work well.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in stockpot.
- Add chicken, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until chicken is done.
- Stir in broth, pumpkin, corn, rice, basil, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Nice served crusty bread and a fruit salad.