Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
We received a pound of sweet Walla Walla onions with this week's shipment of farm produce from our CSA and I wanted a quick and easy way to use them. I had zwiebelkuchen (German onion pie) in mind, and while the recipes on 'Zaar looked delicious, they also looked time consuming. So I took what I thought were the best ideas and used a pre-made crust. My partner and I thought the result was delicious and hope you do too!
- 1 lb onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb Canadian bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Heat olive oil and crisp the bacon.
- Add onions and cook over med-low heat until carmelized.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Place thawed puff pastry into a 8" square baking dish, folding dough up the sides.
- Place onion and bacon mixture on the dough.
- Pour egg mixture over.
- Bake in a 425F oven for 45-60 minutes until eggs have set.