Recipe by Chef-Boy-I-Be Illinois
I love corn bread. Not the stuff out of a box, but the real thing. I went to make some last night and discovered I had no baking powder! So I looked in my Joy of Cooking for substitutions for baking powder, and the resulting corn bread was the best I've tasted. Try it, I think you'll agree!
Top Review by Lemon Drop
I wouldn't deter anyone from making this, but oh my... if you think this is good cornbread than you've never had good cornbread. Sorry! haha It's a reasonable substitute I suppose, but I won't be making it again.
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 236.59 ml white flour
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml plain nonfat yogurt
- 59.14 ml light sour cream
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift together the corn meal, flour and sugar.
- Mix the baking soda with the yogurt sour cream and egg.
- Combine the yogurt mixture into the corn meal mixture. The batter will be thick, but don't worry.
- Pour mixture into greased (PAM) 8 inch square pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- NOTE: For a more savory corn bread, omit the sugar and try adding any combination of following -- crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, green chilies.