Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The Ligurian region of Italy is along the coast and contains some steep terrain. In addition to marvelous seafood dishes, the residents enjoy vegetables with their pasta, which while somewhat unusual, is very delicious. The combination of the pasta, with browned potato cubes and green beans in the recipe is brought together marvelously by the pesto sauce.
- Dice potatoes into 1 inch cubes and saute in olive oil until crisp and brown on the outside and easily pierced with knife. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the drained green beans to warm through.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to directions on box.
- Add the pesto to the vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to vegetables and mix thoroughly. Can add some of the pasta water if necessary.
- Serve with a side salad, crusty bread and freshly grated parmesan to pass.
I would double the french beans next time. Didn't have much flavor, IMO. If you use powdered/prepared pesto, I'd add some fresh basil to make it more real.
I made this as a side dish alongside "Chicken Cardinale" tonight and it paired very nicely with it. The combination of potato and green bean reminded me a bit of artichoke hearts. My DH mentioned that he could not envision eating this as the main course, however enjoyed it as a side.