Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here's a unique and healthy twist on a popular favorite. Healthy because it contains no fat and utilizes Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) instead of red meat. Don't let that scare you. The TVP has the same texture as ground beef and takes on the taste of whatever it is cooked with. It's unique because of the sweet and sour base; hence the name Honolulu Sloppy Joes. It's also easy to make for those hectic week night meals and it's kid friendly. Try it you'll love it!
- Put chopped onions in skillet and add 1/3 cup of water to barely cover onions. Cook over medium high heat until water evaporates. This will reduce the sharpness of the onions much as sauteeing will, but without the oil.
- Meanwhile combine remaining ingredients (except TVP) in bowl. I use 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, but if you want a sharper, less sweet taste go with 1 tablespoon.
- Add TVP and combined ingredients to skillet with the cooked onions and cook over med heat until sauce is reduced to a thickness (sloppy) that you like.
- Serve with whole grain buns, sliced cheese, sliced tomato and your favorite condiments.
- Excellent served with oven roasted potato wedges, ranch beans, and cole slaw. Enjoy!