Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Healthy, quick and easy Winter comfort food!! This recipe won the local beer and chili cookoff contest in Summer 2007. What surprised everyone is that it contained Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) sold under various names such as Harvest Crumbles.
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups vegetables or 3 cups beef broth
- 12 ounces frozen textured vegetable protein (or 1 1/4 cup dry)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped (made from roasted, ground chilis, spices and vinegar found in cans)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until golden. Add garlic, bell pepper and seasoning mixture and saute for another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for at least 15 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- Serve with your choice of condiments, such as grated cheese, chopped onions, diced avocado, sliced black olives.