Recipe by Chef-Boy-I-Be Illinois
Fall weather puts me in the mood for comfort food such as casseroles, but I don't want all the calories that usually come with them. So I paired cod with potatoes and used an Italian inspired tomato sauce to bring it all together. My partner and I really enjoyed this last night and I hope you will too. You can use any type fish you like, as long as it flakes easily when cooked. I think I'm going to try smoked salmon next time. For the potatoes, I like to use Yukon gold, but any low starch potato will work well.
Top Review by daisygrl64
Wow this was loved. The story behind this recipe LOL. When I first saw it I was thrilled cuz I am Portuguese and we love our Cod fish. Then when it came time to print the recipe, as I read futher I saw bread crumbs and cheese 0:) Ok so that is when I decided that I would still make it without the breadcrumbs and cheese. I left my daughter to peel and chop potatoes for the recipe as I had to go do some shopping. I came back and she had the potaoes chopped into chunks LOL, her reason.....this is how I always see you make potatoes Mom! Long enough review heh? Ok so I went on with the recipe. All Good! Loved the tomatoe and onions with the wine flavor. If you get a chance to make this w/out the crumbs and cheese, please do so cuz you will like it. At the table I added a few drops of Tabasco sauce. Excellent. Made for Fall PAC 09 I also have a photo, I will post it, but it is not of the nicest, sorry.
- 453.59 g cod
- 411.06 g can crushed tomatoes
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 14.79 ml fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml fresh breadcrumb
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine cod, tomatoes, wine, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in medium sauce pan. Simmer until fish flakes easily, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice potatoes and onion.
- Place half of the potatoes and onion in bottom of greased 10 inch square baking dish, lightly sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Place flaked cod evenly over the top, and lightly salt and pepper.
- Pour one half of tomato sauce over this.
- Place remaining potatoes and onion on top, sprinkling lightly with salt and pepper, and then the remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake approximately 45 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over top of casserole and bake uncovered 15 minutes more. Can broil for a couple minutes to brown the top if desired.
- Let stand five minutes before serving.