1/2 Photos of Chef-Boy-I-Be-Illinois' Baked Cod Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
Chef-Boy-I-Be Illinois's Note:
Fall weather puts me in the mood for comfort food such as casseroles, but I don't want all the calories that usually come with them. So I paired cod with potatoes and used an Italian inspired tomato sauce to bring it all together. My partner and I really enjoyed this last night and I hope you will too. You can use any type fish you like, as long as it flakes easily when cooked. I think I'm going to try smoked salmon next time. For the potatoes, I like to use Yukon gold, but any low starch potato will work well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cod
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400F.
- 2Combine cod, tomatoes, wine, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in medium sauce pan. Simmer until fish flakes easily, about 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, slice potatoes and onion.
- 4Place half of the potatoes and onion in bottom of greased 10 inch square baking dish, lightly sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- 5Place flaked cod evenly over the top, and lightly salt and pepper.
- 6Pour one half of tomato sauce over this.
- 7Place remaining potatoes and onion on top, sprinkling lightly with salt and pepper, and then the remaining sauce.
- 8Cover with foil and bake approximately 45 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- 9Combine breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over top of casserole and bake uncovered 15 minutes more. Can broil for a couple minutes to brown the top if desired.
- 10Let stand five minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef-Boy-I-Be-Illinois' Baked Cod Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.6
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.1 mg
- Sodium 780.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 21.1 g