Recipe by Ficbot
Playing with a 'white sauce' recipe a friend gave me produced this quick and tasty cheezy stew. Enjoy!
Top Review by Kimmore
Did someone just say three of my favorite words - Cheezy, Vegan and Stew?? This is comfort food for sure! For me, the mixed vegetables were carrots, onions, celery and peas. To make it thicker, I may use less liquid next time. I can't say how it would be the next day because it never made it there :)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup mixed vegetables, diced
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 cups rice milk or 2 cups soymilk
- 6 vegetarian meatballs, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon potato starch or 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the vegetables and seasoning blend, stir, saute about 3 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the flour and begin stirring, slowly adding in the soy milk a bit at a time, stirring well, mixing to form a nice gravy.
- Add the 'meatballs' and potato, stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the nutritional yeast and stir until blended. Raise heat a tiny bit.
- Dissolve the starch in 1/4 cup warm tap water, blend well. Pour into the soup pot and stir 2-3 more minutes until sauce is thick and heated through.