Recipe by LetEachSoulLiveInEternity
This is my recipe for a very delicious, creamy cheesy potato soup. My four kids can just about eat the whole pot of it before my husband and I get any!
- 8 medium idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (2 3/4 ounce) packagepioneer country gravy mix
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon better than bouillon chicken soup base
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into 9 sticks
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, saute onions in oil. When onions are slightly tender and a tiny bit brown around edges(DO NOT CARAMELIZE), add potatoes and chicken soup base. Add water to cover. Bring to boil. In a bowl, add 1 C milk to the dry gravy mix, stirring constantly. When potatoes are very tender and water has cooked down by almost half, add the cold gravy and Velveeta. Stir well and bring back up to a low simmer to thicken soup and melt the cheese. Simmer 3 minutes and then add remaining cup of milk to adjust the thickness. You should have a very creamy, thick soup that is not as thick as a stew.
- You can make this a loaded baked potato soup by leaving the skins on. and adding a dollop of sour cream and some bacon as a garish in each bowl.