1/1 Photo of Cheezy Chicken Parmesan With Zucchini "pasta"
1 hr 5 mins
Mommy Diva's Note:
A light, healthy way to enjoy your chicken parmesan without the guilt! From the Cook Yourself Thin show. **Havent made this yet, but it looked amazing...of course it appeared to have been cooked in under 30 minutes, but I am guesing it will tke me much longer. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the tomato sauce and zucchini pappardelle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled plum tomatoes, mashed (preferably San Marzano, in juice)
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 4 zucchini, thinly sliced
For the chicken
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons extra for serving
- 1/4 cup dried whole wheat bread crumbs (white can be used)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten with a fork
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (split in half to make 6 - 8 large, thin cutlets)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons extra for serving
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1For the sauce, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Cover, reduce heat to very low and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. (Check a few times during cooking; if vegetables begin to brown, add 2 teaspoons water and stir.) Add the tomatoes with juice, basil and another 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently 5 minutes. Then simmer very gently, partially covered, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 2Meanwhile, using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick long pappardelle-like strips, turning the zucchini and slicing on 4 sides only until you see the center seeds. Discard the centers.
- 3Remove the tomato sauce to a bowl with a rubber spatula; no need to clean the skillet. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until wilted, tossing often with tongs for even cooking, 8 to 10 minutes. Return the tomato sauce to the pan, add 1 tablespoon of the parsley, and season with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cover and set aside.
- 4On a plate, combine the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and the remaining chopped parsley. Place the egg white on a second plate. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken into the egg whites, and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat completely; set aside on a large plate or platter.
- 5Heat 2 teaspoons oil in each of two nonstick 10-inch skillets over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken to each skillet and cook until lightly browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, and cook until chicken is firm, and lightly browned on the other side, 1 to 3 more minutes.
- 6To serve, re-warm the zucchini in the tomato sauce over medium heat. Use tongs to make a “twist” of zucchini pappardelle on each of 4 plates. Lean chicken cutlets against the side of zucchini. Scoop 1 tablespoon ricotta onto each plate, and spoon remaining tomato sauce on top of the chicken. To garnish each plate, drizzle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheezy Chicken Parmesan With Zucchini "pasta"
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.1
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 355.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 35.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: