Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I love this recipe because it contains two of my favorite things--cheese and chicken. It is a very good switch from pasta sauce on it. My DH said he liked it better than the traditional lasagna.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cooked
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 (9 ounce) no-boil lasagna noodles
- For sauce:.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter over a low heat; stir in the flour to make a roux. Add the milk in a small stream, bringing mixture to a boil. Whisk to get smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cream of chicken soup and simmer the sauce until thick; set aside.
- For cheese filling:.
- Mix together all the cheeses, egg, and basil in a bowl; set aside.
- Grease a 13x9 pan. In the bottom, put 1 cup of the sauce and cover with 3 pasta sheets (make sure they do not touch each other).
- Spread half of the chicken, with 1/2 cup of sauce mixed in on the pasta, and top with 3 more sheets.
- Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the pasta, top with 3 more sheets.
- Continue layering the pasta in the same manner, ending with pasta. Now pour the remaining sauce over the pasta; sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
This was sooo good. In order to use up all the noodles though, the ingredients have to divided into three layers-except for the sauce.
I had a little difficulty assembling this. I tried to follow the directions but the ammount of noodles didnt seem to match up with the directions? No one else seemed to have any problems, not sure what I did wrong. O, and I forgot to add the can soup in with the rest of the ingredients, I had it all layered and noticed the can sitting there. What a mess! Im sure it would have been delicious having been done right, but can someone tell me exactly how many layers there are with the noodles?
This was very good! I made 1/2 of the recipe (only 2 of us here) and added only a little garlic salt and some extra cheese. I was afraid it would be bland (only because it is very light in color putting it together, when you are used to lasagna with red sauce!) but it was NOT, it has a lovely light flavor that really lets the chicken and cheeses shine. Leftovers today were even better! Thanks very much for a fine recipe.