Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A deliciously cheesy tasting broccoli and orzo dish.This recipe was created to mimic Rice-a-Roni's Broccoli Au Gratin, a favorite before going vegan. This dish is very quick. It will be on the table in less than 30 minutes. Only 5 grams of fat and packed with over 11 grams of fiber per serving! Adapted from My Vegan Cookbook.
- 16 cups water (for cooking orzo)
- 2 cups whole wheat orzo
- 1 head broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light vegan butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain rice milk
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 pinch ground marjoram
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Chop broccoli into bite size pieces and put into pot with water. Cook for 6 minutes and fish out with a large slotted spoon and set aside. Now pour orzo into the same pot and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the orzo is cooking prepare the cheeze sauce. In a blender place; olive oil, vegan butter, rice milk, flour, corn starch, paprika, onion powder, seasoned salt, sea salt, black pepper, marjoram and garlic powder. Blend until smooth.
- After the orzo has finished cooking, drain the water completely. Place pot back on the stove and turn heat down to medium to low. Pour cheeze mixture in with the orzo and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off heat and let stand for 10 minutes before eating. You can add the broccoli to the orzo and mix it together or eat it separately.
It's incredible just how good a vegan 'cheese' sauce can taste. I'm going to be making this sauce again, just for broccoli or cauliflower, without the orzo. The instructions didn't mention when to add the nutritional yeast so I incorporated it in step 2. Almond milk was substituted for rice milk since that's what I had on hand.
Loved this recipe!!!
I was skeptical at first, since this is vegan, but it's awesome.