Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak. It requires one recipe of Gee Whiz Spread -- from the same cookbook and posted here by Sharon123 as Gee Whiz Spread. Top it with some breadcrumbs and bake for a little extra pizazz!
- 2 cups vegan cheese, use gee whiz spread Gee Whiz Spread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 -3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large pinch cayenne (optional)
- 12 ounces dry macaroni or other penne pasta, such as penne
- Heat oil in a large saucepace and carmelize the onions (can take 20-30 minutes). Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add 2 cups of the Geez Whiz spread, the undrained can of tomatoes, nutrional yeast, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Meanwhile prepare the pasta according to package directions. When cooked, drain it and pour the sauce over it.
I enjoyed this with spiral pasta, and quartered the recipe. Thanks for a nice supper! Made for Vegetarian tag-Nov. 2011.