Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
A garlicky-cheesy vegetarian main dish or a side dish with a simple grilled entree and some ripe sliced tomatoes; I've made these for a long time now; I don't remember where the recipe came from. It also works perfectly using the little round French zucchinis. Just before serving, sprinkle with some minced fresh oregano for even more of an herby kick.
- 2 medium firm unblemished zucchini (about 8 inches long)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups soft whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out some of the flesh, leaving about a 1/4-inch shell; chop and set aside.
- In skillet, saute garlic in butter until soft.
- Combine bread crumbs, chopped zucchini, pepper and oregano; add to garlic and butter in pan.
- Saute lightly for about 5 minutes, then spoon mixture into zucchini shells.
- (It will seem like a lot, but just cram it in there!) Bake, covered with foil, in a greased baking dish at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes; remove pan from oven and top zucchinis with cheddar cheese; return to oven, uncovered, for another 5 to 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender but not mushy and cheese is melted.