Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you want a really crisp top just place the cooked casserole under the broiler for about 1 minute. This is also great using cooked brown rice. Don't overmash the zucchini, leave some large chunks in it for texture. Prep time does not include cooking the rice. This is a delicious zucchini dish!
- 1133.98 g sliced zucchini (about 7-8 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 177.44 ml chicken broth
- 283.49 g can sliced mushrooms (drained) (optional)
- 473.18 ml cooked rice
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 295.73 ml old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml seasoned dry bread crumb
- 9.85-14.78 ml seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 large eggs
- 59.14 ml melted butter
- parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan combine the sliced zucchini with the chicken broth and chopped onion; bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat slightly, simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain and place into a bowl.
- Coarsley mash with a potato masher, then add in the drained mushrooms (if using) cooked rice, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, seasoned salt, black pepper to taste, garlic powder and eggs; mix well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Drizzle the top with melted butter, then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
the family says d-e-l-i-o-u-s thanks.