If you want a really crisp top just place the cooked casserole under the broiler for about 1 minute. This is also great using cooked brown rice. Don't overmash the zucchini, leave some large chunks in it for texture. Prep time does not include cooking the rice. This is a delicious zucchini dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs sliced zucchini (about 7-8 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (drained) (optional)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 -3 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- parmesan cheese
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3In a large saucepan combine the sliced zucchini with the chicken broth and chopped onion; bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat slightly, simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain and place into a bowl.
- 4Coarsley mash with a potato masher, then add in the drained mushrooms (if using) cooked rice, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, seasoned salt, black pepper to taste, garlic powder and eggs; mix well to combine.
- 5Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- 6Drizzle the top with melted butter, then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- 7Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Zucchini-Rice Bake
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.2
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 140.2 mg
- Sodium 535.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 17.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: