Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
This makes a wonderful appetizer.It even tastes great at room temperature . Courtesy of: Bon - Appetit, Aug. 2006
- cooking spray
- 1 (10 ounce) packagerefrigerated pizza dough
- 3⁄4 cup garlic cheese spread (ie. Allouette)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, fresh finely grated divided
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped, divided
- 1 small red onion
- 7 inches long green zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch rounds, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper (or foil) and spray w/ nonstick spray.
- Unroll dough onto parchment paper.
- Spread 1/2 the herb cheese over one long half of dough, leaving 1/2" plain borders.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 Parmesan and 2 T parsley.
- Using parchment paper as aid, fold the dough over filled half *do not seal edges.
- Spread remaining cheese on top, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Peel off enough outer layers of onion to have 2" circles. Cut into 1/8" thick rounds.
- Arrange 1 row of zucchini down along one side of dough. Arrange onions down the center. Add one more row of zucchini along the outside of onio row (you will have 3 rows of veggies).
- Brush veggies with Olive Oil. Sprinkle w/ salt and pepper.
- Bake until the bread is puffed up & golden brown, about 24 minutes.
- Sprinkle with1 T parsley before serving.
I forgot I had this same recipe until I seen it here. Very good recipe. Instead of using the pizza dough (I didn't feel like running to the store.) I used some french bread that I had. I put the cheeses on each half of the bread, I sauteed the onion and zucchini together and put it over the cheeses, wrapped them opened faced in foil and baked them. Easy to put together and it was something different and savory. Everyone loved it! Thanks for posting.
I made a few changes to the recipe. I used garlic & herb cream cheese, left out the zucchini, and didn't fold over the dough. I think next time I will add olives or spinach in place of the zucchini. Very crispy and tasty. Served with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
This is so good and so easy. Though it's got some sophisticated flavors, it went great with a beer while watching a game. Thanks.