Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorites when the zucchinis come on in the summer.
- 4 1⁄2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (10 1/8 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) cans sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups garted parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil until tender. sprinkle with salt and pepper: stir. Transfer to an ungreeased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- In same skillet, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Stir in tomato puree, paste, sugar, Italian seasoning and basil. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, until slightly thickened. Stir in olives. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Combine the eggs and Parmesan cheese; pour over zucchini. Bake at 375 degree for 25-30 minutes. Let dish satnd for 15 minutes.
This made such a yummy vegetarian meal. I added some cauliflower and red pepper to the zucchini base and it turned out fabulously so thanks for a quick evening meal tonight.