I love zucchini corn and cheese together but the topping really makes this fantastic. Adapted from the Canadian dairy website.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce, purchased (or your homemade)
- 3 cups bread, cubed small (or torn, use up your stale white or whole wheat, french, just not sweet bread)
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, small dice
- 4 small zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch
- 2 cups corn, cut fresh off cobs or 2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄3 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Set a large pan on medium heat. When pan is hot add 2 Tbsp olive oil and stir in the pesto. Add the bread cubes and toss. Take off heat and set aside.
- In a large pan heat the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes, or until just soft but not browning.
- Add zucchini, corn, red pepper and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until cheese is melting in and then transfer to a shallow casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and then the pesto bread cubes.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until topping is crispy. You may need to finish by broiling for a few minutes, depending on your oven.