Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this off the Kraft website. Goes together quickly for a nice comfort food taste :)
Make and share this Cheesy Volcano Meatball Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 Ritz crackers, finely crushed
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 12 cheddar cheese cubes
- 4 hot dog buns
- In large bowl, mix meat, cracker crumbs, Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce in medium bowl. Shape into twelve meatballs, using about 2 tablespoons meat mixture for each.
- Place, 2 inches apart, in shallow baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Press 1 cheese cube deeply into center of each meatball.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minute or until meatballs are cooked through.
- While meatballs are baking, microwave remaining 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 30 sec. or until heated through.
- Spoon sauce evenly into buns. Fill each with three meatballs.
I toasted the buns in the broiler in the oven, and for the cheese cubes I used mozzerella cheese cubes, these were great sandwiches, though I might have gone a little overboard with the cheese cubes, oozing cheese. For the spaghetti sauce I used some of my homemade spaghetti sauce from a recipe I have posted of my own. Nevertheless, this great filling lunch, was a good excuse for a light dinner, as these are nice and big, filling lunch definately worth having. Made for Think Pink 2012.
This is such a fun and easy weeknight meal! Since the recipe doesn't specify the size of the cheese cubes, I think mine were a little big because my volcanoes sure were overflowing! I feel like the meatballs themselves were lacking a little, though. Next time I'll add some Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and Worcestershire. Also, using a really good spaghetti sauce makes a difference; (try not to get the yucky one just because it's on sale, like I did :) ). I served mine on a gluten free bun with sauteed peppers and onions. Thank you for posting! Reviewed for ZWT - 7.
A volcano sandwich bursting with goodness. I did change the cheese cubes from cheddar to mozzarella and my family loved them! To make serving and eating easier - with a knife just take the top off the sub roll and press down the dough - meatballs sit right inside like a real submarine! My DD ate hers just on her plate and dipped it in the sauce with cheese on top and she was happy too. Thanks for a wonderful family meal that is very cost effective, provides 4 subs easily with the large meatballs I made and no waste! Will definitely be making this often! Made during ZWT7 of 2011.