Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick, easy and cheesy. :)
Make and share this Cheesy Veggie Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 6 -8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups finely chopped green cabbage, can use savoy
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced potato, peel if desired
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 cups chicken broth, can use veggie
- 15 ounces cream-style corn
- 2 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half, can use milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sauté cabbage, onion, celery, carrots, diced potatoes and peas in the butter in a large saucepan for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for additional 7-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add creamed corn, Worcestershire, half and half (or milk), and all seasonings; heat over low temperature 15 minutes, (or until veggies are tender) stirring occasionally.
- Add the cheese, stir until melted and heated through.
I followed this to the letter using vegetable broth. I loved the combination of veggies and the cheese gave it a comforting richness. I think this would be good with a processed cheese as well--it makes for a smoother texture. This was a hit with my family and friends. Thanks for posting Parsley!
This was a very good rich chowder and we loved it. I will probably leave out the worcestershire sauce next time for personal preferences. I added some crushed red pepper flakes but other than that made as written. Thanks for sharing.
This is really yummy, and just bursting with healthy veggies, full of fiber and other good stuff. I made a few changes, but none big enough to change the feel of the soup. I used fresh corn cut from the cob instead of canned, and left out the peas and potato. I also added about 1/2 cup of leftover black beans that were in my fridge. I used veggie broth instead of chicken. It was absolutely delicious. Thanks, Parsley! Made for Kid-Friendly Recipe Tag