Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Something I threw together as a side-dish: I love cheesy veggies but didn't want that stodgy white-cheese-sauce kind of feeling weighing me down. This was pronounced delicious by the whole family!
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cut julienne style
- 1 ear of corn, kernels sliced off cob
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Place the brown onion, carrots and corn kernels in a saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the flour and onion salt, and simmer, stirring, for 3-5 minutes until the liquid begins to thicken.
- Add the cheese, and stir until it has melted through.
- Remove from heat and sit for 1 minute to thicken the sauce.
Yummy. I made a half amount last night and used frozen corn (not going to get fresh around her at this time of year) and plain flake salt. In my case I needed a little more water and I thought that it wouldn't hurt to use half water and half milk. It made a welcome change from the usual sides and went very nicely with the chicken.