Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is a lovely vegetarian meal. However, you can make it more hearty by adding 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham or turkey ham over the vegetables in step 1. Decrease the salt to 1/2 teaspoon. Continue as directed. Refrigerated time is not figured in the time to make.
- 8 slices bread
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, green beans, pearl onions and red pepper, thawed and drained)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard (dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each bread slice diagonally into 4 triangles. Arrange half of the bread in ungreased rectangular pan, 13- by 9-inches. Top with vegetables. sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining bread.
- Beat remaining ingredients until blended; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake about 45 minutrs longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.