Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food at it's best! Add a salad and a loaf of crusty bread and you have a yummy meal!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ground black pepper
- In a large stock pot melt butter and saute onions until tender.
- Add water and chicken bouillon, bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour and some of the broth.
- Slowly add flour mixture into the soup.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add half & half, shredded cheese and season with fresh black pepper.
- Heat through until cheese has melted, but be sure NOT TO BOIL!
This was a good soup, even in the middle of summer! I did cut way back on the butter (used 1/4 cup) and used half skim milk and half whole milk in place of the half and half since that's what I had on hand. I used frozen broccoli and pureed some of the soup. Tasty! Made for Bargain Basement tag game.