I've made this recipe so many times and it is fantastic! It is easy to do and tastes soooo good! Give it a try tonight! It was the Top-Rated recipe in Southern Living Magazine 2000.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf processed cheese, cubed
- 1 (2 ounce) jardiced pimientos, undrained
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- celery leaves
- BRING first 6 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Stir in corn; remove from heat.
- MELT butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- STIR in milk and next 5 ingredients.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Gradually stir cheese mixture into vegetable mixture.
- COOK over medium heat, stirring constantly, until soup is thoroughly heated.
- Garnish, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Makes: 2 quarts.
This is very tasty! I used less celery - only about 2 ribs - not a big fan. I also omitted the pimentos. This is a very colorful and rich dish that can be served as a side or pair with a salad and bread and it serves as a meal. One note - this is very rich so if you aren't a total cheese lover, you may want to use less cheese. Thanks Bev!
Very good creamy, cheesy soup. I used velvetta cheese and it was so good. You can add a few more vegetables to this if you want it thicker. I did blend about 3 or 4 T. of cornstarch to thicken it more. Will make again.