Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from the 1983 Southern Living Cookbook. To make a really special pot, I will often add crab meat at the end of the cooking time.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup potato, cubed
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (17 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb crabmeat (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in corn; remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook just until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Gradually stir cheese mixture into vegetable mixture. (If adding crab, add now.) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
We really enjoyed this meal. I made as directed, except for adding some green beans & using frozen corn kernels instead of the canned. I added sliced leftover barbeque chicken instead of crab & we loved it. Made for PAC Fall 2007.
Great method. I used salmon stock and flesh instead of the chicken broth and crab. Still good texture.