Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A creamy, dairy free side dish from about.com
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- salt and pepper
- Bring the vegetable broth to a simmer in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 T. of the olive oil. Add the chopped garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 T. of olive oil and the rice, and, stirring constantly, cook until the rice is evenly coated and sounds like crispy rice cereal in the pan, making snapping and popping noises, about 4 minutes. Add the wine, stirring constantly, until all of the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Ladle ¾ cup of the simmering broth into the rice and cook, continuing to stir, until most of the liquid is absorbed.Continue to add the broth in ¾-cup increments, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before another addition, until the rice is translucent around the edges but still solid in the middle and the rice is a creamy consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach, nutritional yeast and dairy-free soy margarine and stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.