Recipe by vigilant20
This is one of the first dishes I served company when I became vegetarian. Everyone was astonished that this cheesy tasting lasagna didn't have any cheese in it! I originally saw this recipe published by user submission at vegweb.
Top Review by Vinophile
This recipe was amazing! Had it for dinner with guests and everyone loved it! Can't believe a vegan dish tasted this good! And it wasn't heavy like most Italian dishes are. This is the first dish I've made for my new 2 week vegan diet (I have a lot of GI issues and was told to try cutting out meat and dairy) and after eating this dish I didn't suffer any symptoms which was great! Also, I only needed to use about 5 oz of spinach (half a bag) since 16 oz is way too much and there was no room for that much spinach. Also, the recipe said to use a whole box of lasagna noodles which is way too much. The recipe should specify how many noodles to use, so you can save lasagna noodles for next time. You only need to use 9 noodles FYI. :-)
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 16 ounces spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 lb carrot
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 16 ounces firm tofu
- 8 ounces cream cheese (vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice carrots and steam, set aside. Saute parsley and garlic for 1 minute in an oiled pan. Add carrots and veggie broth; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add tofu, vegan cream cheese, and lemon juice; stir well. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until "cheese" starts to melt. Stir in nutmeg and nutritional yeast. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles in bottom of 11x7 baking dish. Layer carrot mixture, noodles, tomato sauce and spinach until done. Top with spaghetti sauce. Cover and bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes until thoroughly heated.