1/1 Photo of Cheesy Twice-Baked Potatoes from Vegnews
1 hr 40 mins
Serah B.'s Note:
Delicious vegan take on an old standard. From the April 2012 issue of VegNews.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the baked potatoes
For the cheddar cheese sauce
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the cashew sour cream
For the mashed potato filling
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Place potatoes on a sheet pan. Rub with 1 T oil and salt. Pierce with fork and bake 70 minutes until soft.
- 3For the cheese sauce, saute onion in margarine over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 4Add potatoes, carrots, garlic, paprika and salt and saute for 5 minutes.
- 5Add water and bring to a boil.
- 6Cover and simmer 20 minutes, until vegetables are very soft.
- 7In a dry blender, process cashews into fine powder.
- 8Add mustard, lemon juice, and potato mixture. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- 9For the cashew sour cream, in a blender, blend cashews, water, miso, and vinegar until smooth.
- 10When potatoes are soft, remove from oven and cut in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out potato from skins, living about 1/4-inch layer of potato.
- 11Brush potato shells with remaining oil and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- 12For mashed potato filling, mash potato with margarine, almond milk, salt and pepper.
- 13Fold in half of the cheese sauce, half of the sour cream and half of the scallions.
- 14Fill each potato shell with mashed potato mixture. Top with a dollop of cheese sauce and a drizzle of sour cream. Garnish with remaining scallions.
- 15Bake loaded potatoes for 15 minutes until thoroughly heated and tops are browned. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Twice-Baked Potatoes from Vegnews
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.9
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 842.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar