Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lighter and easier recipe than traditional moussaka!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (7 ounce) can canned tuna
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/4 to 1/3 inch slices.
- Cook eggplant in boiling water in a saucepan for about 4 minutes; drain.
- In a covered saucepan, simmer chopped onion in white wine for 5 minutes.
- Blend in a mixture of cornstarch dissolved in milk.
- Add cinnamon, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Combine half the sauce with drained tuna.
- Add cottage cheese and eggs to the remaining sauce.
- Arrange half the eggplant slices in an 8-inch baking dish.
- Add layers of the tuna mixture, grated Parmesan cheese, the cottage cheese mixture, ending with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.