Recipe by JillAZ
I got this recipe from a book called "Baby Let's Eat" which I purchased when my almost 16 year old was a baby. My whole family loves this and it is very flexible as far as what kind of veggies you want to put in it. My DH requests this whenever he wants tuna casserole. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups cooked farfalle pasta
- 12 1⁄2 ounces albacore tuna in water
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 cups broccoli florets, lightly cooked
- 1 cup peas, cooked
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (about)
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 3 quart casserole with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Make sure to have broccoli, peas and pasta cooked and waiting.
- Grate carrot, lemon zest and cheese and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil or butter.
- Add flour and stir until blended. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and chicken broth, whisking as the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. When sauce has thickened a bit and is smooth, remove from heat.
- Add grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Fold in the pasta, tuna, lemon zest, broccoli, peas and carrot.
- Place in the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle top with bread crumbs and chopped parsley.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and casserole is heated through, about 30 minutes.